Farmington paves way for IDOT resurfacing of Illinois Route 78

By JEFF LAMPE
For The Weekly Post


FARMINGTON – The Farmington City Council on Monday paved the way for a major repaving project.
The council approved four ordinances Monday that were required by the Illinois Department of Transportation for an upcoming resurfacing project on Illinois Route 78.


Resurfacing work scheduled for this year runs from the four-way stop at Fort Street in Farmington to just north of East Alder Road in Canton, which is south of Davis Ford. Also to be resurfaced is the loop of Old Illinois Route 78 through the southeast corner of Norris.


Farmington Mayor Kenn Stufflebeam said IDOT will be letting bids for the $8.5 million standard overlay paving project this week.

“As a matter of fact, they might be waiting on us,” Stufflebeam said.

He explained that Farmington already has all four ordinances in its books but said IDOT wanted them updated. The four involve parallel parking on Route 78, a no-parking ordinance, a wastewater ordinance and a no-encroachment ordinance.

IDOT also has a $1.3 million plan to replace the Route 78 bridge over the west branch of Copperas Creek, located one-half mile north of Norris, at some point between 2027-31.

Another $4 million resurfacing projected slated for 2027-31 involves repaving Illinois Route 116 through Farmington to the four-way stop at Fort Street.

In other business, the City Council passed two other ordinances: one to return surplus funds from the TIF district to Fulton County to be distributed to other taxing bodies, and one for a redevelopment grant with Jonetta Scapecchi to replace doors at Lane Transfer Co. The grant had been previously approved but also required an ordinance, Stufflebeam said.

Oak Ridge Cemetery Manager Herb Stufflebeam reported that Bill Atwood of Elmwood has been hired to dig graves. Herb Stufflebeam said Atwood’s smaller excavator fits better in the cemetery and having him do the work will actually save money. He said Atwood digs graves at 40 cemeteries. Cemetery staff will continue to handle digging for cremations.

Finally, Kenn Stufflebeam said a vacant house the city has been attempting to acquire at 181 E. Court St. was broken into. But the city has boarded up the structure and is investigating other measures.