By JEFF LAMPE
For The Weekly Post and The Prairie News
One year after COVID-19 concerns cancelled Memorial Day events, area veterans will once again be honored on Monday, May 31.
All are welcome at Memorial Day services that will be held across the area, as follows.
• Elmwood will hold services at Central Park and at
Elmwood Township Cemetery, starting at 10 a.m.
Transportation will be provided from the park to the
cemetery and back.
• Brimfield American Legion will hold services at
10:30 a.m. in the Town Hall
Park. Snacks will be served
at the American Legion Hall
• Farmington American
Legion will hold services at
At 10 a.m., the ceremony
at Reed Park will feature a
story about the 1,006 medallions that have been placed
on all graves of veterans in
the eight area cemeteries.
After that, the American
Legion will make a presentation to a local businessman. Following a 21-gun
salute and taps, the ceremony will proceed to Oak
Ridge Cemetery and then to
the Yates City Cemetery.
• Williamsfield has a
10:15 a.m. salute and roll
call of the dead at Trenton
Cemetery, then moves with
salutes and roll calls at
French Grove Cemetery at
11, Elmore Cemetery at
11:45 and Veteran’s Park in
Williamsfield at noon.
• Princeville has traditionally started its Memorial
Day event at St. Mary of the
Woods Cemetery at 9 a.m.,
before moving to Streitmatter Cemetery at 9:15,
Princeville Township Cemetery at 9:30, Schiebel Cemetery at 9:45, Sheets
Cemetery at 10:15 and then back to Princeville’s Veteran’s Monument in Stevens Square by about 11 a.m. for a salute.
• In Toulon, the American Legion will gather at Post 416 at 7:30 a.m. The first service is at Starwano at 8 a.m., then Stringtown at 8:30, West Jersey at 9, Elmira at 10 and back to Toulon Cemetery for an 11 a.m. service.
• Wyoming American Legion Post 91 starts services at 8:30 a.m. at Snareville Cemetery, then moves to Pleasant Valley Cemetery at 9, Lawn Ridge Cemetery at 9:30, St. Dominic’s Cemetery at 10, the Wyoming Library Lawn at 10:30 and the Wyoming City Cemetery at 11.
• The 105th annual Osceola Grove Memorial Day Service is at 1 p.m. at Osceola Grove Community House, five miles west of Bradford on Route 93 next to the cemetery. Sam Rice is guest speaker.
• Blue Ridge Methodist Church gathers at 10 a.m.
• The Annual Elmira Memorial Association meeting is at 2 p.m. at the Elmira United Presbyterian Church, followed by a guest speaker.
• Memorial Day services in Galva held by the Galva American Legion start at 9 a.m. at Bishop Hill Cemetery, then move to Galva Cemetery at 10, St. John’s Catholic Cemetery at 10:30, LaFayette Cemetery at 11 and on to Galva Courtyard Estates with a flag raising at 11:30. Help is needed with the Avenue of Flags. Come to the building west of Subway to load flags at 6 a.m. Takedown starts at 4 p.m. at Galva Cemetery.
• Princeville traditionally starts at St. Mary of the Woods Cemetery at 9 a.m., then to Streitmatter Cemetery at 9:15, Princeville Township Cemetery at 9:30, Schiebel Cemetery at 9:45, Sheets Cemetery at 10:15 and back to Princeville’s Stevens Square by about 11.