By Carol Townsend
GALVA – The Galva Park District pool opened July 1 after a decision was made at a special meeting Sunday morning.
The Park District decided to open the pool and will be following Gov. JB Pritzker’s restrictions as well as CDC recommendations.
The pool will be open every day, but will restrict the capacity to 50 people at one time. Only Galva School District residents will be allowed to use the pool, whose hours will be noon to 2:45 p.m. and 3:15 to 6 p.m.
You must show proof of residency to enter. If you do not have a Galva address, but are in Galva school district, then you can bring a report card. Please bring this each time because a different employee might be working each time.
The board also stipulated the following rules:
• You must practice social distancing in and out of the pool.
• Stay home if you are sick, as no temperatures will be taken.
• It is recommended that you wear a mask when you are not in the water. All of the staff, except for lifeguards on their chairs, are required to wear face masks.
• There can only be 50 people inside the pool area at one time.
• All pool rules will be enforced, as in years past.
• You must know that there is a chance you can contract COVID-19 when you enter the facility.
• Safety and cleaning is the main concern this year.
•The daily fee is $5 per person. The employee can only except cash or a check.
• You are required to give your name and phone number when you enter.
• There are no memberships sold this year.
• Everyone must get out of the pool at the end of the first session so the staff can do cleaning. You may also swim again in the second session if it is not full.
• Everyone entering the pool must shower.
• The baby pool will not be open.
• There are no toys, floats, balls, pool noodles etc. allowed.
• There will be no baskets for personal belongings. Any belongings left on the property will be thrown away at the end of the day.
• Restrooms will be available.
• There are to be no pool parties at this time.
• The concession stand will be open with packaged items only.
These rules can change if there are changes from the governor’s office.
Water aerobics will be on Monday and Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m., $5 per session and available for Galva school district residents only.
To play put put golf, you may rent a putter and a ball for $1 at the pool.
By Carol Townsend